Butte County, located in northwestern South Dakota, covers 2,249.90 square miles of land and borders Wyoming to the west. The county was established in the Dakota Territory on March 2, 1883, and today it is home to two municipalities – Belle Fourche and Newell.
After gold was discovered in the Black Hills in 1876, ranchers and homesteaders settled the rich agricultural bottomland along the Belle Fourche and Redwater rivers, and became the primary source of food and livestock for the booming gold camps of Lead and Deadwood. The region was originally incorporated by the Dakota Territorial legislature in 1881 as the southern half of Harding County. Butte County split off from Harding two years later.