Whitewood was incorporated as a city in 1888, about six months after the first homes and businesses were built – or were relocated by mule from Crook City. Today Whitewood is divided into three wards. A mayor is elected by city-wide vote every two years, and each ward elects two members for a six-member city council. City council members are elected for two-year terms, as well.
Council meetings are scheduled the first and third Mondays of each month, 7:00 pm at city hall, 1025 Meade Street. Agendas and minutes are available on the city's website, and published in the Black Hills Pioneer.
The Whitewood city hall is located at 1025 Meade Street. Housing the city departments of public works, finance office, police department, library, planning and zoning, building inspector, Hale Hall board, and the mayor & city council.
The City of Whitewood’s budget is around $1.2 million for the 2016 financial year, as stated by the city’s finance officer, Cory Heckenlaible. Which is less than 2015’s budget of $1,269,710 as reported by the Black Hills Pioneer. For more information on the budget and other city finance initiatives call the city’s Finance Office at 605-269-2247.
Lawrence County administers state and federal elections in the city of Whitewood. For the city's voting history, visit Lawrence County's Voter Information website. The site also provides information on how to register to vote and a map of voting precincts in the county.
The residents of the city of Whitewood account for some precincts within Lawrence County. If you’re interested in viewing the results or voter turnout of recent elections, follow each link respectively.
Lawrence County is the home of the Black Hills Pioneer, a daily published newspaper. Established in 1876. This paper is the oldest business in West River South Dakota and the only locally owned newspaper in the territory. The Pioneer serves Spearfish, Lead, Deadwood and Whitewood in Lawrence County as well as Meade and Butte County.
The Rapid City Journal, a daily published newspaper based out of Rapid City, also provides printed news for Whitewood. The Rapid City Journal began on January 5, 1878, as the Black Hills Journal. The Journal is the daily newspaper of Rapid City.