Hot Springs covers an area of 3.6 square miles in north central Fall River County and is the county seat.
The defining characteristic of Hot Springs also played an instrumental role in the development of the community – the warm mineral springs. They first attracted Native Americans who valued the healing waters and even fought for possession. Later, in the 1880s, when the area was opened as part of the Dakota Territory, entrepreneur Fred Evans and other local businessmen worked to develop the area as a health spa. The railroad, which arrived in 1891, contributed to the realization of this dream by bringing passengers from the metropolitan centers of the United States.