Black Hills Knowledge Netowork

Whitewood

Whitewood was incorporated as a city in 1888, about six months after the first homes and businesses were built – or were relocated by mule from Crook City.

On Thanksgiving Day, 1887, the Pioneer Townsite Company made available Whitewood’s first business and residential lots. The Fremont, Elkhorn, and Missouri Valley railroad extended its line north from Rapid City that year, temporarily making Whitewood the end of the line. A post office had been established in June 1877, and the town incorporated on May 12, 1888.

Latest News

525 University Loop, Suite 202
Rapid City, SD 57701
(605) 716-0058   info@blackhillsknowledgenetwork.org