Black Hills Knowledge Netowork

Deadwood

Deadwood covers 3.83 miles and is the county seat of Lawrence County. It is also the location of the Lawrence County Courthouse complex which is the main site for county offices and for South Dakota’s Fourth Judicial Circuit.

Deadwood was established in 1876 during the Black Hills gold rush. In 1875, a miner named John B. Pearson found gold in a narrow canyon in the Northern Black Hills. Fueled by gold and greed, Deadwood began as a lawless camp of get-rich prospectors and a business district comprised largely of saloons, dance halls, card parlors and bodacious bordellos.

Latest News

525 University Loop, Suite 202
Rapid City, SD 57701
(605) 716-0058   info@blackhillsknowledgenetwork.org